Saturday, February 7, 2015

ABC, Anything But Chardonnay, ,,,not in this case...River Road RRV

Now truth be told I am not a big Chardonnay drinker.  I do not like the wood that attaches itself to domestic chards.  Some are nice, but I  trend to the burgundy style, unoaked or lightly oaked in french barrels.  But, from time to time I find one that tantalizes.  That is what I found here.
River Road RRV reserve.
River Road is in Green Valley, a sub appellation of Russian River in Sonoma. Ron Rubin is the owner and Joe Freeman the winemaker.
The color is perfect, a yellow that is reminiscent of corn silk.  Bright but not sunshine bright. More like the soft yellow of a peach. 
The nose, hints of pear, vanilla and and yes that oak.  Not overpowering but there.
Now the mouth.  Fruit, fruit, fruit.  Pears, apples, oak and butter, hints of spice. The California buttery, okay Chardonnay.  This wine is delightful.  Fuller bodied, rich and creamy.  Well balanced,  a winemakers wine.  Yes, I know it goes against my judgement about chard. But, it is worth it.
I enjoyed this wine with a perfectly cooked salmon.
Enjoy

A perfectly cooked salmon. And yes I tore it up putting it on the plate
So get over it.  It was still great.
Look at that color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment