Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Its the Great Punkin Charlie Brown, Punkin Beer that is

My favorite time of year. The fall, all the leaves changing color, a little nip in the air.  All the fall seasonal beer comes out. The Pumpkin ones especially. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.  Pumpkin beer time is special.  This is the biggest season for specialty beer.  A few years ago, pumpkin beer was something extremely rare.  Very few had it and those that did, did not taut it so much.  Now, every one and their dog has a pumpkin beer.  Some are magnificent and some do not need to be mentioned.  
My Halloween this year will consist of handing candy to a bunch of youth as they migrate through the neighborhood -trick or treat.  I will of course be enjoying some of my favorite beer, pumpkin of course.  
So that brings me to the challenge, 12 beers to be consumed and discussed before Halloween.  I think I am up to the challenge, so follow along.  Maybe even tell me about some of your favorites. 
So now let's go.

The first beer tonight is Pumking by Southern Tier.   A well known and very well liked beer.  One of the best selling of all seasonal beers. 
The aroma is enticing to say the least. Spice hits you straight out.  Allspice that is.  Reminding me of the Thanksgiving pies and the pot-pouri that my wife sets on the stove every holiday.  The flavor is slightly sweet and again very all spicy, with hints of cinnamon.  A very delightful beer, easy to drink and enjoyable. Like drinking down the pumpkin pie.
The second beer tonight is the Pumpkick by New Belgium.  This is the first time I have tried this beer and what a nice addition to my repertoire.  Again, nice spices,cinnamon, nutmeg all the traditional holiday spices, the aroma reminds me again of pumpkin pie (I see a trend already starting).  This one though also adds a little zest, in the form of hints of citrus.  A nice addition.  The review suggests cranberry, I did not pick this up, so if it is there it is very slight, adding to the dimensions.  A nice kick in the pants to get the Halloween week started.  
Enjoy. 
The Pumpkick by New Belgium

Pumking by Southern tier


A quick look at the challenge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment